Thursday, February 11, 2010

not a minority in SF

Jiha Moon

Visual of the day:
The title of the piece is called "Lichtenstein's Peach". I think a few of us would immediately recognize the MSN butterflies incorporated with Roy Lichtenstein's Girl with Ball. The Asian peaches, for longevity, with the curling waves make this very East meets West incorporated with mute, gray blocks in the background.

Reflection of the day:
I get very drawn to pieces that have that mixture of two very different styles from Eastern and Western arts. Being a Chinese-American myself, I can relate very well to the assimilation I have with the diversity from both cultures.

With Chinese New Year right around the corner now, I've done most of the cleaning and just have minor details to put together like: red envelopes, taping up fortune decorations, buying gifts to visit friends and family. There are lots of small customary things and since I was brought up by parents who were very traditional, I've learned to teach Kalissa the same. I hope she continues to teach future generations but it seems difficult already with her obstacle to learn the language.

This is a very important holiday for my family just like Christmas and Thanksgiving is to others. We will feast together, exchange gifts of money and food, and make an effort to see those we don't normally have time to visit.

Mixed into this weekend is Valentine's and Presidents' Day. I don't like to fall into the overrated, commercialized day of love because merchants found a way to hike up prices for flowers and dinners with a push in card, candy and jewelry sales. There are enough occasions like anniversaries, birthdays, and Christmas to shower gifts. Not that it isn't nice to just recognize a special someone in your life but a mere card or dinner another night is sufficient for me. Kudos to the movie industry for making chick flicks during this season, so I can enjoy this with my estrogen filled companions.....girl power....I'm such a feminist.






No comments:

Post a Comment